What is Check Washing?
One form of check fraud, known as check washing, is the process of removing hand-written information from a check using chemicals. Criminals will typically wash the “Pay to” line and write in the dollar amount to their benefit.
Our identity theft expert, John Sileo, provides these six tips to help prevent this form of check fraud from happening to you.
- Invest in high security checks.
- Use security gel-based pens with dark ink.
- Shred voided checks.
- Reconcile your bank accounts regularly.
- Put clear tape over important fields when mailing a check.
- Do not leave blank spaces on payee or amount lines.
To learn more about the practice of check washing, watch John Sileo’s video, Check Washing and Check Fraud Countermeasures.